Sunday, May 8, 2016

LG G5 vs Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Shootout: Part 2

I got a second LG G5 and I decided I put it through its paces as well versus the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.  I only used the main camera on the LG G5 to compare - I can say that the wide angle camera is awesome. 


This is how I take my shots for the shootout: Completely 100% auto, no changing of the white balance, no modifying the stops for the exposure. If I were to do that for every shot then each one would be superb. I believe that most people want to take a picture at the moment and whip out their cameras. I mostly shoot in manual mode, but for these tests I stay with 100% automatic with maybe some tap to focus shots just to be able to see what LG and Samsung have implemented into their devices and the software optimizations they have carried out. 

In all images the LG G5 is on the left and the S7 Edge is on the right.


 As we can see in this image, the G5 captures more of the yellow flowers that are ever so tiny as well as the detail of the leaves. This is mostly due to the amount of megapixels the G5 has over the S7 Edge.
Point to LG G5.


In the same image I just lowered a little bit and you can see the detail on the bricks is much higher and in focus. Usually the S7 Edge is on top in focus, but this wasn't a tap to focus ordeal. Very well done LG G5.
Point to LG G5


The WB on the S7 Edge is a little off here, but that's OK. It's something you can fix in manual mode or even afterwards. Detail is better on the rocks and look more natural while the S7 looks a little over sharpened.
Point to LG G5

In this shot the colors are very well represented but there is something about the ground on the S7 image that looks sharper and better. You can also see the drops of rain on the flower in the center left and they are more in focus as are the bulbs of the flowers.
Point to S7 Edge.


Both of these images came out perfectly but to personal taste I enjoy more the colors and detail of the G5. It may not be as sharp but there is more detail and it looks more artistic. I would send that to print and be very happy with the result as you can see below.
Point to LG G5



 General shot. Point to S7

100% crop on this general focus shot, and the S7 nailed it.

 But how often do we just take a shot without focusing when pointing it at the only 1 thing that is in front of us? Well, I always tap to focus! So I thought I'd give the G5 a chance to focus and I manually focused both on the face of the statue and the S7 still came out on top even though both shots are very nice.
Point to S7

 G5 wins this hands down, the focus and details.
Point to LG G5

 A very nice shot. Tie.
Point to LG G5 and S7
 100% crop on close and distant objects at the same time, very nice detail for both again. Tie.
Point to LG G5 and S7


 In these two shots I tried to focus on the flowers and the S7 Edge was able to do so, but the G5 wasn't! It kept focusing on the floor. I would normally jump into manual mode but since is supposed to be a general shooter with everything on automatic except maybe tapping to focus, I decided to just leave it as is.
Point to S7 and another one for the second shot.
 In this shot I'm enjoying the G5 image more.
Point to LG G5
 Upon zooming with no touch to focus, I can see that the lamp post isn't as in focus neither are the leaves in the background on the G5. The S7 takes the prize!
Point to S7
 Then I tapped to focus on the G5, and got this gorgeous shot. Just because the colors are a little more pleasant of the leaves on the G5 I'd give it a point, but they're both excellent shots so they both get a point!
Point to LG G5 and S7

 These gorgeous flowers got a little rain the morning of the shoot and you can see the drops on the right and left, but each phone focused on a different spot.
Point to LG G5 and S7
Another try!
Point to LG G5 and S7

Point to LG G5 and S7. Both images are very well lit, exposed and good white balance.

While I was tempted to give the S7 this point, I decided to give it to the G5 because of those colors and representation. I think the leaves look nicer and less "crinkled" on the yellow flowers. The purple flowers across the bottom left also have a lot of detail over the S7.
Point to LG G5


The detail on those green leaves behind the white flowers are gorgeous in on the S7, but come one, let's be realistic, both shots are FANTASTIC.
Point to S7

 I can't decide with this shot.
Point to LG G5 and S7


Both shots are superb. The detail of the bulb and the color of the petals are higher on the G5 but the veins on the S7 are very nice.
Point to LG G5 and S7


 Point to LG G5


 The G5 crushed the reds, while the S7 Edge handled them better. You can still see the details of each petal while on the G5 it's harder but not impossible.
Point to S7
 JPG image is quite similar in this shot. The only real difference is the temperature of the leaves. Here's a close up.
 Point to LG G5 and S7
Two very nice shots
Point to LG G5 and S7
 Point to S7 due to the detail on the stone bench.

 This is probably one of my favorite shots from that morning.
I had to double check that these were different images because they're so crisp and perfect. They're very much in focus and very well developed.
Point to LG G5 and S7. Could I give another set of points for this macro shot? Why not, it's my blog :).
Another point to LG G5 and S7


 I really had to pixel peep on this one, the roof of the house on the G5 has more detail than the house of the S7.  Also, the window blinds have more detail than the same image of the S7.
Point to LG G5

 My moving parrot.
Point to S7 for indoor shots and having him in focus.

Another shot, same result.
Point to the S7.

Total:

                              LG - 21 points                   Samsung - 23 points

Thank you everyone for taking the time to look at this post. I really can't decide between the two cameras. They're both fantastic photo shooters. I'll talk about videos another day. 


Conclusion

But as we can see there is no "clear winner" even though Samsung won by 2 points (or by 9%).  All I can say is this: There is no one device that is a clear winner when shooting in completely automatic mode. In 2016 both LG and Samsung brought out the big guns. I'm very happy with both devices as cameras. I would say to pick the device that best fits your lifestyle because both cameras will do very well in very similar situations in automatic mode. Enjoy them! They both rock!